Monday, December 3, 2007

Oh Dear God, it's TWINS!!!

I had my first ultrasound this morning at 6 weeks 2 days. At first the doctor said that it looked like there was just one because there was just one sac. She showed us the little heart beating away and then she started working on measurements. At which point she said, "Ooh, I see something else in there." That freaked me out, but then she clarified and said there were two babies in one sac. Then I really started to freak out! Apparently I had one egg fertilize and implant and split into two- identical twins. I'm already freaking out about being able to tell them apart. Ben and I are really excited, but freaked out at the same time. But as
Ben said- we're both over acheivers, so it makes sense that when we do get pregnant that egg/sperm combo had to be an overacheiver and split.

Dr. Browne was sure to point out that this has nothing to do with the fertility treatments we went through but is just something that happens sometimes. Identicals are no more common in fertility patients than in normal fertile people pregnancies.

I go back in next week and hopefully we'll see that they're in separate sacs- it was too early to tell today. I'm still in shock. Ben and I went to lunch after that appointment and I could barely eat, I was too freaked out. There are two living things inside of my body right now! I can't believe that. We talked a little bit about what we're freaked out about. Pretty much finances won that battle. How in the world are we going to pay for two kids? And where are we going to put them? Our house is not that big. We'll figure it all out, though, I know we will.

I talked to my parents a little while ago. They're both really excited about the twins. It's going to be interesting, that's for sure...


Here's a picture from today's ultrasound. As you can see, this is the shot where Dr. Browne actually labelled the babies so you can see where each one is.

No comments: