Friday, June 13, 2008

33 week 5 day appointment

We went in for another ultrasound yesterday.  It was a real quick one.  The ultrasound tech checked my cervix, although she said there's really no point to it at this point.  Yet the doctor ordered it, so obviously someone sees a point to it.  It's still really thin, but looked about the same to Ben and I.    

Then she took a quick look at the babies.  The heartbeats were good and they're definitely getting big in there.  The fluid level on baby A looked good, but we're not sure she checked the fluid level on baby B, but they must not be worried about it because they didn't take me back to get a fluid level.

She told me to make sure we head for the hospital pretty much as soon as I start feeling contractions or have any strange mucousy discharge.  She doesn't seem to think my cervix is going to hold for long after labor starts.  I've already been told repeatedly to call my doctor as soon as either of those things happen, so I plan on doing that.  I trust what my OB tells me more than I trust what an ultrasound tech tells me.

Then we met with a doctor.  He wants me to get to 37 weeks, but doesn't seem too sure that my cervix will hold up that long.  What Ben and I found kind was odd, though, is that my OB seems perfectly happy with my cervix, but this high risk doctor seemed really concerned about it.  But since I've only met this high risk doctor once and I've seen my OB many times, I'm going to stick with what she says.  I trust her to know what's best for me and the babies.  And she's well aware that my cervix really hasn't changed much in a month or so, but still seems confident that I can get to 35 or 36 weeks and she'd be happy with that.

So basically, we're exactly where we were before yesterday's appointment.  We go back to the high risk doctor next week for a fluid level check and a non-stress test- that's where they monitor the babies heart rates and for contractions.  We also go to my OB next Thursday, so it's going to be a busy and exhausting day.  But hopefully I'll get word from my OB that I can start moving around more soon.  What I'm anxious to know is when she'll take me off the Procardia...

Here's a couple of shots of my belly from last week.  Is it just me or is it really getting big?

1 comment:

Tina said...

You belly is getting so big!! 36 weeks is a good time. Everythings crossed that you'll make which I'm sure you will. Yay for a great appointment!