I'm way late making this post, but I've been a little busy since I had these appointments. More about that later...
Last Thursday (6/26) I went to see my OB at 8:30am. I actually saw Dr. Hodges who I hadn't seen in the office in months. I saw him when I was in the hospital on bed rest, but all of my office appointments had been with Dr. Zaita. Actually, now that I think about it, Dr. Hodges was the one that admitted me to the hospital... Anyway, the appointment went well. My blood pressure was a little high again, so he decided to repeat my blood work from the week before. I was told that my urine was fine. He didn't check my cervix. I'd been having 2-3 contractions an hour pretty much all week, so he didn't want to do anything to irritate my cervix. My uterus was measuring 45cm, which would be about 45 weeks in a singleton pregnancy! No wonder I was having so many contractions- my uterus was practicing for getting the babies out. The contractions weren't painful, so they weren't anything to worry about, but they were definitely there. When we left Dr. Hodges said he would call me that afternoon to let me know how the bloodwork was.
We came home for awhile and rested and ate some lunch before going to our next appointment. We went to the high risk office for a non-stress test and a growth scan. The non-stress test went fine. Oddly enough, I didn't have any contractions while hooked up to the monitors. And we managed to get both of the babies on the monitors without many problems, so that was nice. Then they did the ultrasound. Both babies looked great. Baby A was measuring 6lbs 10oz and baby B was measuring 6lbs 12oz and had flipped to breech! I don't know how she found the room in there to do that, but she did. And I'm pretty sure I know when it happened. One night a couple of days before the ultrasound I remember telling Ben that it felt like one of the babies was trying to come out through my belly. I'm guessing that was actually her flipping over.
We got home and called our parents and let them know how the appointments went. And Ben sent out an e-mail to a bunch of people letting them know what was happening. Within minutes of the e-mail going out, my cell phone rang. It was Dr. Hodges. He said that my bloodwork came back and it was okay, but the levels they were looking at were a little higher than the week before and I was definitely headed down the road towards preeclampsia, so we needed to set an end date for the pregnancy. He wanted to get me to 36 weeks, which according to the due date he had (7/30) would have been the next Wednesday (7/2). We had been talking about me attempting a vaginal delivery, so Dr. Hodges was ready to schedule an induction. Then I told him the results of the ultrasound we'd just had- the babies' sizes and the fact that baby B was breech. So he suggested a c-section, and I agreed. He was planning on being at the hospital all day on Friday, so he said he would call me from there and get the c-section scheduled for the next week. Dr. Hodges had told us Memorial Day weekend when I was in the hospital that they didn't believe in holiday babies, so we figured the c-section would be scheduled for Wednesday or Thursday.
And that's where we left things Thursday afternoon/evening- probably about a week until we would get to meet our girls. Little did we know what would happen later that night...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment